Saving More Money with DIY Lanudry Detergent

Being a family of eight on one income can have its challenges. All of which are always worth it. It forces you to evaluate what's necessary, what you can do without, and what things (though maybe not necessary) are worth some sacrifice to get.

While there are definitely exceptions to this rule, I have found that if you can make it or grow it yourself, you will save a ton of money! About 4 years ago I started teaching myself how to sew. It's so fun to be able to make things that before I could only wish I had. I'm still learning (and always will be) but I have also started to make more of our food from scratch. I am still looking for the perfect bread and tortilla recipe, but for the most part we now make our own breads for the week. I can't lie, it is not convenient and it does take time but we do it together as a family and it is time well spent.

The latest thing I have started doing to make our dollar stretch is making my own laundry detergent. Believe me, I had my doubts about this one but I am so glad I gave it a try! I love it! And yes, it really does work. Not to mention the money I save! I purchased all the ingredients I needed for just under $10. At about 12 loads a week, I have enough for at least 3 years! I know, right!? Anyway, this is the recipe I used. It's the Duggar recipe which can be used in top loading or front loading washers.




I found all the ingredients at Smiths. You can get the bucket at Home Depot.
You will need:
4 Cups - hot tap water
1 bar of soap (I used Ivory. Do not use heavily perfumed soaps. Some other suggestions are: Sunlight, Kirk's Hardwater Castile or Zote bars.)
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
½ Cup Borax



Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

 

Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved.




Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use.

Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

I did not add any oil to the detergent. I love the smell of fresh laundry but I find the best way to get that smell is with the fabric softener rather than the detergent. This detergent has no scent but when I use it with Downy it definitely has that fresh laundered scent.

I have been using this recipe for about three years now and love it! I like to add half a scoop of oxiclean powder to the load with the clothes as well, but not with darks.

What are your favorite recipes and what are your favorite saving tips?

9 comments:

codyalthea said...

great idea mel, its always a bummer when we have to buy detergent, im gonna try this, im a little scared :)

Melanie said...

Lol, I know your fear Althea. I was a little nervous as well. Infact, I had all the ingredients for about two weeks before I made it because I thought it was going to be a major project but it was actually quite simple. Let me know how it turns out.

Anonymous said...

Melanie, I link to your blog from homeschool lounge.
Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I am trying to find ways to cut back and save money so I can quit my part-time job and be the stay-at-home mom I've always wanted to be.
I think I will go out and get the ingredients today and try it.

Melanie said...

Good for you Annie! I am continually trying to find ways to cut back and save so that I can continue to stay home. It gets tough sometimes but God always provides.

BTW, I checked out your blog, very nice! I like all the pictures.

Nichol Naranjo said...

I'm going to do this when I finish my current box of Tide! Thanks so much Melanie!
I really appreciate how you went step by step and added so many pictures. As a visual learner, I need directions this way, ha ha!

melyssa said...

I stopped by from THL to say hello! Your blog is lovely, keep it up!

Melyssa at
www.threekidadventures.blogspot.com

Melanie said...

Thanks Melyssa!

Andrea Downs said...

I really want to try this. Thanks for the pictures.

Sarah said...

This is a GREAT IDEA! I just jumped over here from THL.

Lord bless your weekend!
Sarah

www.ahouseonfire.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails